Saturday, May 16, 2015

Renewed Quarry and Terracotta Tiled Floors in Alveley

Recently purchased cottage in Alveley, Bridgenorth and the new owner was interested in overhauling the floors. The quarry tiles in the lounge had grout haze and general dirt on also the grout needed changing in several places.

The rest of the areas were covered with Terracotta tiles which they had thought were quarry tiles. At first look I thought they were a patterned ceramic tiles as there was a slight sheen on them and the “pattern” appear to be in uniform however upon closer inspection I realized that they were definitely not ceramic so I did a test clean on a small portion and it turned out that the apparent pattern was in actual fact from a build up dirt and grime all over the tile; the owners were also shocked at the discovery.


Restoring Quarry and Terracotta Tiles

I cleansed both floors with a dilution of Tile Doctor Remove and Go which was left to soak unto the tiles for quite some time before being scrubbed using a rotary machine fitted with a black pad and the dirty water was removed using a wet vacuum.

The Terracotta tiles needed the extra attention so I did another round of scrub on them once using a brush paying special attention to the tiny holes in the surface of the tiles which had become ingrained with grime. Once I was contented, both floors were given a final rinse to remove any cleaning products and I finished the day repairing the grout line in the lounge area.

Quarry Floor Sealing

I left the floor for a week so it could dry completely and I went back to seal it. The damp meter indicated that the floor was dry enough to take in the sealer. At the same time I did a final inspection of the floors and spot cleaned those areas where it was needed using a heat gun to dry the tiles afterwards. The client had pet dogs and had requested for a matte finish so I sealed the Quarry and Terracotta tiles several coats of Tile Doctor Color Grow which is an infuser-type of sealer that occupies the pores in the tile and also enhances the color of the tile.

Needless to say the customer was really pleased with the result.